4.20.2015

# 10 Item Wardrobe # A.P.C.

Ten-Item Wardrobe Talk-Through Spring Summer 2015



Thank you for your great response to my ten-item wardrobe for spring/summer 2015! In this week's video I talk you through the wardrobe choices. This year's wardrobe was heavy on the dresses. This was by design. After many years of curating these capsule wardrobes I have come to learn that I am most comfortable in dresses. They also fit the Southern California climate perfectly as the days are generally warm, if not down right hot! In the past, I would include more pants and even long sleeved blouses, but found I rarely wore them. Dresses are for me.

This year saw many repeats, such as my A.P.C. blue chambray dress, A.P.C. linen dress, Tory Burch silk patterned dress and the denim Talbots dress with the tailored sleeves from last season.



Many of these dresses are more than one season old and because of their high quality, still remain valuable assets in my core items.

Of the newer dresses, I decided to try a few accessible brands (able to order online or through catalogue) such as Garnet Hill and Boden. I have been very pleased with the quality of these dresses!



The star of the show for me is this new Rebecca Taylor dress, which I love and I know will last many seasons to come.


For the bottoms, I have one pair of Spanx jeans, which I purchased last winter and a khaki a-line skirt from Talbots. If the weather gets really hot or if I'm doing a particularly messy activity with the girls, I might take out a pair of shorts I have from Banana Republic. Right now, I've stored them away until summer.



As you can see I do not have any blouses in my wardrobe this year. If I need to look dressy during the day, any of my dresses will work just fine. I plan on using the jeans and skirt paired with the tee shirts for more casual looks. These tees are all from Boden. I only have a handful of tee shirts each season. Not all of them are represented here. I have another blue and white stripe (I love my nautical!) as well as a few long sleeved white tees. Because I only have a few tee shirts each season, I tend to need to replace them each year as they either shrink or get dirty. These Boden tees seem really high quality. They might last longer than one season! We shall see...



I do a lot of walking in Santa Monica and need comfortable flat shoes. I have not shown you my entire shoe collection here, but these represent my casual shoes that can pull each outfit together nicely. I have not shown my evening shoes (mainly heels) in this post. As you can see, I like to wear neutral or black shoes. They tend to go with everything!



I have not shown evening wear in this video. That will be discussed in a separate future video. Here, I wanted to focus on the everyday core items that get you through the week.

For links to all items that are still available (many are not as they are more than one season old), check out my original blog post here.

Check out this week's video for a more in-depth discussion of the ten-item wardrobe. If you are unable to see the video above, click here, look in the sidebar of this blog, or check out my channel: www.youtube.com/TheDailyConnoisseur

News

I am in Tokyo, Japan this week! I'm looking forward to meeting readers at my book event, Wednesday April 22nd, 7pm Kinokuniya Southern Theater

I am featured on Retail Me Not in an article called, Clean Home, Clear Mind.

Lizzbert blogs about her journey with the ten-item wardrobe here.

Pink Julep loves Lessons from Madame Chic and has her own take on the harsh critics.

Inspired by Madame Chic, Ruby's Musings works on cultivating her mind here.


At Home With Madame Chic is now available as an audiobook from Tantor Audio.


Madame Chic Inspiring Thought
As you go forward with curating your ten-item wardrobe, think about your true style. Do you dress how you want to dress? Or do outside influences dictate that you dress a certain way? Perhaps you would love to dress in a more feminine way, but tell yourself you could never do it for various reasons. Get inspired to discard your inhibitions and embrace your true style.

Comment of the Week
On YouTube, Janice writes:
I completely understand what you are saying about appreciating, being grateful for what we have instead of always wanting more or thinking that it isn't enough. I just recently discovered your blog and am reading your book.I love the idea of a 10 piece capsule wardrobe. I am tired of (bored with) having so many clothes that I so seldom wear. I find the idea very refreshing.

Thank you Janice, and have fun compiling your ten-item wardrobe!


Visit my Author Website

Facebook facebook.com/JenniferLScottAuthor

Twitter @JL_Scott

Instagram @dailyconnoisseur

Sign up for my Seasonal Author Newsletter

27 comments:

dysfunctionalscrapbooking said...

Thanks for sharing this. I love your choices. Have a wonderful trip to Japan. When you get back, would you consider a "Go To" video/post.

You know, the one "uniform" that we all seem to reach for when we know we want to look good. Go To: casual day and Go To: date night, would be ones I would love to see.

I tend to default every season to one accidental uniform that I keep in rotation.

Best,

Lucia

Tracey said...

After seeing those tan Trotters sandals pictured on your blog last week, I ordered a pair for myself! Looking forward to receiving them in the mail!

Sarah Extance Garcia said...

Great informative video Jennifer. I understand your feeling on wearing dresses. I recently moved from the cooler Northern California Bay Area to the warmer Los Angeles climate. Most of my dresses were for special occasions. I have added a couple of day dresses into my wardrobe, but feel like I could do with a few more. Day dresses are such a simple, elegant solution to the warm weather. My long sleeve blouses will probably not see the light of day so often now. I hope I get to meet you sometime at a book signing in LA. Thanks for your expertise.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the time you take to put these videos together. I love how you changed the sleeves on the Boden dress. Can't wait to hear about Japan!

lizzbert said...

Oh my gosh, thank you for the link to my blog! Now I really have to get Part 2 done. Coincidentally, I embedded your talk-through video on Jeepers today. It's wonderful!

Jan said...

Dresses seem a bit ...well dresser to me than a pair of slacks do. I'm going to try them this summer so I'll have a much better idea of just how they'll fit my casual work & lifestyle also in a rather hot area.

Thanks for your suggestions and anxiously look forward to hearing about your Japan trip.

Meli said...

I would love to see your extras!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie said...

Thank you, Jennifer, for your Spring/Summer 10 item wardrobe update! I have really been looking forward to it. I, also, would love to add more dresses to my Spring/Summer wardrobe. I always feel presentable and comfortable while wearing dresses.

Do you think you might ever be open to the idea of making a post or video about maternity clothes? My husband and I just learned that we're expecting our third child and I want to update my wardrobe with clothing that is both chic and comfortable, especially as my belly grows :) I would love your take on maternity clothes!

I hope you have a fabulous time in Japan! I'll look forward to your next post!
<3 Natalie

Unknown said...

Hi Jennifer,
Thanks for the update on your ten item wardrobe. Love all the dresses. Just wondering if you'd be interested in doing a video on what kinds of undergarments to wear under a dress vs under jeans or slacks and a T-shirt. Nothing worse than the dreaded VPL under a knit dress.
Thanks

Unknown said...

Hi Jennifer,
Thanks for the update on your ten item wardrobe. Love all the dresses. Just wondering if you'd be interested in doing a video on what kinds of undergarments to wear under a dress vs under jeans or slacks and a T-shirt. Nothing worse than the dreaded VPL under a knit dress.
Thanks

Unknown said...

I almost purchased a very nice denim shirt since my work dress code recently changed but in the end did not. When I thought about it I am much more comfortable in knits. Just because I can now wear a nice denim shirt to work doesn't mean I have to. It is so much better to stick to what you love and are comfortable in.
I love your Tory Burch dress. So beautiful!

Elizabeth said...

Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for another inspiring video. I love your blog and have read both of your books (reread your first again recently :). I hope you will choose to do followup video showing your "extras" - sweaters, blazers, and the like - to show how you round out your wardrobe after choosing your core ten pieces.

While I have not quite reduced my wardrobe to ten per season, you continually inspire me to be an evaluative editor and a more careful shopper. My closet, and my home, are better curated thanks to you and Marie Kondo. :)

Best,
Elizabeth

Mariam said...

I hope you are having a great time in Japan, Jennifer!
I love your picks for this season. They are feminine yet practical and durable! I am inspired to invest in quality dresses since they are the simplest outfit you can wear in hot weather, and also the chicest (in my opinion).
Take care and thank you, as always, for sharing.

Rose said...

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for that talk-through, it was great to hear about your choices and why you made them. I love the look of dresses but I am very much a jeans and t-shirt woman, in fact I just had a light bulb moment about that while watching this video. I've struggled to get my wardrobe down to ten items for the core and now I see why, I wear two items each time I get dressed -- this is a breakthrough for me.

For this autumn/winter I am going to create a 20 item capsule wardrobe with extras being evening wear. I doubt that I will need to actually buy anything other than a new pair of jeans.

Thank you!

Saltysue said...

Thank you for sharing your 10 item wardrobe. I find all you videos and blogs encouraging for those of use who wish to change our lifestyle to one the appreciates a quality of life. I'm working on my own 10 item wardrobe, it's a bit of a journey analysing my personal style and requirements. I will not give up as its fun

Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing more details about your springsummer wardrobe! I can't wait to check out Boden's dresses, as I have the same issue with finding dresses that are long enough for my taste.
I noticed that you have a couple of white tee shirts in your wardrobe and I wondered if you could talk a bit about how you choose and wear these? Do you wear a camisole underneath or are you able to find tees that are a heavy enough weight not to be too sheer? I always feel like I need to wear some kind of cami under my white tees, but that defeats the purpose of staying cool in the summer. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciate!

Casey said...

I noticed you didn't do bags. How is the Wink & Winn bucket bag holding up?

Anonymous said...

I am going through my clothing, not only discarding things that are worn out or that are not high quality, but things that just are not me. A black velvet vintage robe? I don't wear robes anymore. I seem to grab a cashmere cardigan to throw over my sleepwear. Robes are difficult to move about in. Goodwill bag. The extra striped pullover that I never seem to wear simply because I like the other one better? Goodwill. After all, how many of one item, like a striped pullover, does one need? One always picks one as a favorite and wears that one, while the other languishes in the closet. White jeans? They fit, but white is not really a good choice for me. I always feel dumpy when I wear white on the bottom, and it attracts dirt like nobody's business. It was simply a mistake, but I've learned what I do like as a result. Goodwill.

Although I do have a capsule wardrobe, I'm not down to ten. I never will be, and what Rose said above enlightens me as to why. I like dresses for going out, but I just don't feel comfortable wearing dresses around the house while I'm doing things like cooking, laundry, cleaning up after my parrots, etc. My black jeans or chinos, or khaki J Brand cargo pants plus a t-shirt or pullover seems to be my "uniform" for home.

Anonymous said...

Yay! Thanks for sharing your spring/summer capsule wardrobe - it's so classy and beautiful on you! Truly inspiring and fun. I've been looking forward to your video, and I had to laugh in solidarity when I saw all your dresses - because I can totally relate. Last summer I mainly wore dresses everyday because they were so comfortable in our Delaware heat and made me FEEL graceful gardening and going to the park/working around the house with my two young kids - as well as enabling me to feel put together for my music director job without changing outfits for midday meetings, evening rehearsals, etc.. This year, I didn't even bother including separates. Like you, one pair of jeans & one skirt. I do have a pair of black skinny trousers that function for work attire. Everything else - dresses! I'm going to check out Spanx jeans for the fall/winter. I prefer more mid-high waisted, belly-smoothing jeans for my less than perfect post-pregnancy belly! ;)

Unknown said...

Especially love the Boden Ts. I have a long sleeved striped one that is virtually indestructible. Have fun in Japan! xo

Unknown said...

Hi Jennifer,

I've thouroughly enjoyed both of your books. I just have a quick question regarding fashion.

I've tried making steps toward s capsule wardrobe and when I came across my shorts, I wanted to throw them out! I'm 4'11', mother of three and don't have enough time to devote to weights and muscle toning workouts. While I am no more than 102 lbs, my legs are not very appealing in shorts. Think short untoned stubs...:( I've never felt most confident and chic in shorts. Ever.

Having said all of that, while researching Paris street fashion, I came across an article quoting Natalie Portman as saying she never really sees chic Parisian women in short. She now lives in Paris with her husband and son. I was delighted to hear about the shorts!!! I've never felt my best in cut offs.

Do you find this to be true with your own experience of Paris? I thought you would be the perfect person to ask.

Amy

South Texas

Mom of Many Blessings said...

Hi there! I just had a question for curiosity sake...have you lost weight recently? It just appears that some of the clothes are a touch baggy on you like you lost some weight. If not, do you generally wear your items a little looser? Just curious. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Dear Jennifer,

Your whole wardrobe is so pretty and it suits your style very well. I am happy that I found you half a year ago - it has changed my whole life. I'm slowly but surely working towards creating my own ten item wardrobe. The planning is loads of fun!

I was wondering if you would show us your wardrobe in one of your future videos. I would really enjoy seeing how you organize your clothes :)

Loads of love,
Katarina

Polly said...

Hi Jennifer! I am only now catching up on your videos. I enjoyed this talk-through. This is also a 'season of dresses' for me and this summer I went Boden all the way! I love their prints! I also realized the other day as I was gardening that my previous gardening 'uniform' (yoga pants + a tank/tee) was much hotter than my current gardening uniform (a cool, crisp cotton dress that I made).

I like the neckline of the plain white tee in this video. You may have previously shared where you found it, but I may have missed that. I find that a tee that fits with a great neckline (and quality jersey) is hard to locate, so if you can share your favorite tee resources, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

Vicki Zimmerman said...

This is so funny, because I awoke thinking about your pretty silk green Amanda Uprichard dress from a few seasons ago, and I wanted to ask you why this pretty dress still isn't part of your Spring and Summer Ten-Item Wardrobe.

Also, I loved your green and cream Boden dress so much, that I bought one in the blue and cream colorway and I love it, since blue is my favorite color. I plan to wear mine with a J. Crew cream denim jacket.

I love your style in fashion and in life, Jennifer, and you truly are an inspiration, bringing out the best in all and showing how we can bring out the best in ourselves. ^_^

Unknown said...

Hi Jennifer,
I like your blog and have been following along for a few years.
I've done a lot of thinking about clothing quality lately. I know this is something you've discussed before.
Unfortunately it seems to be going downhill compared to just 10 years ago. I remember when t shirts and blouses weren't see through and some articles of clothing were actually lined! And I'm probably the only person you'll hear say this but... I liked jeans more before they started making them with all the lycra.
Anyway I came across this article and thought you would find it interesting http://recoveringshopaholic.com/how-to-tell-if-a-garment-is-well-made/