6.13.2011

# Baby # Motherhood

Reader Questions Answered – Motherhood Edition



Before this week’s post begins, be sure to check out my latest video Baby Shower Outfit where I show you an outfit (dress, shoes and jewelry) I recently wore to co-host a baby shower. To see the video, click here, look in the sidebar of this blog or visit: www.youtube.com/TheDailyConnoisseur

And now for this week’s post.

My favorite part about writing this blog and doing the videos are the correspondences with my readers. I love to read comments and get emails from you. We have developed such a marvelous online community. If you have not checked out the comment section for each post or video you must do so as the readers of The Daily Connoisseur (who invariably have excellent taste) discuss books, make beauty recommendations and comment on their experiences with the topics discussed in the blog.

This post is devoted to questions and requests I have gotten over the past few months relating to motherhood. So here we go!

Vicki writes:

I would love to hear how you instill these French values with your children. I try to enhance my daughters lives but there are probably so many things I'm missing.

Vicki sent me this request in reference to The Top 20 Things I Learned While Living in Paris series on my blog. I was lucky enough to learn those lessons from Madame Chic (whether consciously or subconsciously) when I was in my early twenties, but it really took a lot of reflection and becoming the Madame Chic of my own household a few years later to make the lessons actually stick. And now that I have a daughter I am more conscience than ever of how I live and what lessons I am teaching her every day.

Of course I would say the best way to teach your children about eating well, good style and how to live well is to follow the practices yourself- to lead by example. In fact, I just came across this quote today:

Parents forgive their children least readily for the faults they themselves instilled in them.

Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

While I find this to be a rather funny quote (though somewhat negative), it is food for thought. We have the opportunity to instill the values in our children that we want to (while they still care to listen to us!)

If, for example, you wished mealtimes in your house were more formal or cherished, then insist on everyone dining together at a certain time- with television off, ringing phones unanswered and music playing in the background. If you would like them to keep their room clean, make sure to do your best (with their help) to maintain a clutter-free home. With regards to beauty, style and self confidence- employing le no makeup look, adhering to the tenant of looking presentable always and dressing appropriately for every occasion sets a marvelous example of how to be chic by not overdoing it.

And, of course, on top of living the example yourself it would be a prudent decision to give them my forthcoming book on the subject as a reference guide ☺


The next reader question comes from Jeanne, who asks about how to stay chic during pregnancy and motherhood.

Having just had a baby myself (although I can’t believe she will be one year old soon!) I can personally attest that staying chic during pregnancy and motherhood isn’t the easiest of feats. Now that I am finally getting a full night’s sleep again it is easier, but during those dark hours of waking up four to five times a night being chic was probably the last thing on my mind. Although invariably when I would finally get ready for the day it did boost my spirits to not look like a complete and total frump.

I would say the 3 key things to help you stay chic during pregnancy and motherhood is to employ a 10 item (or capsule) wardrobe, have a simple haircut that is easy to style and employ a (fast) le no makeup look that works for you. If you have a capsule wardrobe your only option is to pick something that is chic (providing everything in your capsule wardrobe is chic). You will not tempt yourself to wear frumpy sweat pants all day long because you won’t own them. Jeans and a cashmere sweater are equally as comfortable as sweat pants and look so much more chic. (Incidentally, if you are pregnant, you probably have a capsule wardrobe of maternity clothes- which makes for great practice!)

Having a simple haircut is also essential. I would suggest going to your hair stylist and finding the right cut for you- one that requires the least amount of maintenance possible. Also ask your stylist to show you a few quick updos for everyday use (**please note I will be doing several hair tutorials on The Daily Connoisseur’s YouTube channel as I have gotten a lot of requests for them, so stay tuned for those). And as for le no makeup look- your version of it might go as far as only applying spot concealer, mascara and lip gloss, or if you have more time you could add tinted moisturizer and blush… every little effort counts.

Having said all of that, I also believe it is important to go easy on yourself and to remember that laughter, having a great sense of humor and being deliciously in the present moment are easiest ways to achieve chicness in motherhood...

Thank you Jeanne and Vicki for your questions...

If you have any questions or requests for either videos or posts, please leave me a comment here or email me at:

jenncouture (at) gmail (dot) com

I will do my best to honor them in a timely manner.

The above picture was taken back in January. The baby and I are soaking up some culture at the Getty Villa in Malibu. I try to take her to at least one artistic outing a month so as to get into the early habit of appreciating the arts...

The Daily Connoisseur is now available on Amazon Kindle

Visit my Author Website

Like my Facebook Page

Follow me on Twitter

9 comments:

Julianne said...

So happy to see a photo of you and your beautiful baby. She is adorable. I miss those days so much. I have enjoyed the videos very much.

Lacey R said...

cute photo! love your videos and look forward to new ones!

Jeanne said...

Thank you Jennifer for this post! Your bebe is adorable.
It is very encouraging to know that one is not sentenced to tatty pyjamas for pregnancy and early motherhood. Your tips are very practical! Much appreciated.

A bientot,
Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Very helpful post and gives one something to think about in regards to what we teach our children by our actions!! Thank you.
I was hoping you might elaborate on your tricks and tips for keeping slim. As you mentioned in the lovely tea video, green tea is a wonderful tip, one that I have also be enjoying for many years.

Your loyal Swiss follower,
Ashley

Anonymous said...

Very helpful post and gives one something to think about in regards to what we teach our children by our actions!! Thank you.
I was hoping you might elaborate on your tricks and tips for keeping slim. As you mentioned in the lovely tea video, green tea is a wonderful tip, one that I have also be enjoying for many years.

Your loyal Swiss follower,
Ashley

Anonymous said...

Very helpful post and gives one something to think about in regards to what we teach our children by our actions!! Thank you.
I was hoping you might elaborate on your tricks and tips for keeping slim. As you mentioned in the lovely tea video, green tea is a wonderful tip, one that I have also be enjoying for many years.

Your loyal Swiss follower,
Ashley

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Julianna- Thank you! I am having so much fun with her- she is a treasure :) I'm glad you like the videos! xx

LR- Thank you! Many great videos to come :)

Jeanne- You are welcome! Thanks for the request xx

Ashley- Thank you for the request- I have gotten a few others on the same subject so I will do a post or video soon. Thank you and how wonderful to hear from someone on the other side of the world xx

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, your little girl si so beautiful. They grow too quickly so savour every second. I can't believe my Daisy is now six! I totally agree with you on every word of this post. And when is your book coming out? I shall be the first to buy it! I also try to make mealtimes special for Daisy. We play classical music and although our table is small, I try to make it as beautiful as I can for her. And I also agree of course with educating them early to the arts. Another lovely video to watch. I always enjoy them. xx

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Thank you Josephine! Book should come out in just a few months... will do a big launch on the blog. Glad you like the videos! xx