12.19.2008

# Christmas # Economy

A Tale of Two Christmases



With Christmas rapidly approaching, I can't help but feel excited about the festivities and good cheer that are (hopefully!) on the way.

This year, with the current economic crisis, the Christmas festivities have not been quite as festive as Mr. Fezziwig's ball from Charles Dicken's A Christmas Carol. No, that would seem too lavish and perhaps inappropriate. But they also have not been of the Bob Cratchit variety either. This year, the best Christmas gatherings meet somewhere in between... a little glitz and glamour mixed with the good cheer of quality time spent with close friends and family.

On Monday, I will have the pleasure of attending a gingerbread house party. My good friend N and I have lofty ambitions of making a show stopper gingerbread house, complete with flying buttresses and gargoyles!

I'm also looking forward to getting in touch with old friends who are back in town. Festive lunches, clinking glasses and gift-giving? How delightful...

But perhaps the main thing that is having me rub my hands together in delight and anticipation is the feast on Christmas day: Roast goose with pate and prune stuffing and all of the trimmings (a recipe straight from The Two Fat Ladies). This feast is not being prepared by me, but by my family (all the more reason to enjoy it!) I am in charge of the dessert. I'm thinking homemade apple pie... with a gorgeous, golden and flaky crust.

Oh dear... I'm already hungry...

I hope all of your holiday festivities, on a big scale or small, are bringing you happiness and good cheer...


Image of Mr. Fezziwig's Ball courtesy of: www.charlesdickenspage.com

9 comments:

vicki archer said...

Gorgeous image - so fun. Have a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year, xv.

ScentScelf said...

Christmas celebrations are almost always so wonderful...whether perfect or with humorous mishaps...and the anticipation is part of the delight, isn't it?

Happy preambles, and joyous events...

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Happy Christmas and New Year to you too Vicki! xo

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Scentscelf- the humorous mishaps are the best, aren't they? Arguably, the best part of Christmas is the laughter. Hope you have a jolly one :)

Rose said...

The goose sounds amazing, I love the two fat ladies!
Have a wonderful Christmas x

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

Merry Christmas Jennifer. Thank you for your lovely Blog throughout 2008. My Christmas inspiration has been Nigella this year. Last year I used Jamie Oliver. I vow I will be more organized and start in November in 2009. It all got a bit hectic and horrible this year. Enjoy the holy, magic day xx

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Hi Rose- The Two Fat Ladies was such a great show, wasn't it? I gave my dad the dvd box set for his birthday and that's where he got the goose recipe. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas...

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Thank you, Primrose, for your kind comments... Nigella is fabulous isn't she? I wanted to get her Christmas book this year but never got around to it... I hope you have a wonderful day.

Dining on Deals said...

Oh my goodness, your Christmas feast sounds fabulous - and so very traditional! I think it would be right at home at Fezziwig's ball:)

(Sorry for the delayed comment - I'm just now catching up on your blog:)